Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Welcome Royal Baby Boy: My advice for the new parents

"In the sheltered simplicity of the first days after a baby is born, one sees again the magical closed circle, the miraculous sense of two people existing only for each other, the tranquil sky reflected on the face of the mother nursing her child."  ~Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea, Chapter IV: Double-Sunrise

*******

Source: ABC News

       As a kid, I had a huge crush on Prince William. I had posters of him on my walls and actually thought that I would be the one he married! Such a naive, whimsical imagination I was cursed with... Anyway, upon hearing that the new royal angel finally made his way into the world, I have to admit that I was very excited! I'm sure there's a lot of people who think that this baby's birth is trivial, but why not celebrate something good for a change?

       This started me thinking about what advice I would give to the Duke and Duchess about raising a son. I have only one little boy, but the past 4 years of raising him has made me quite the expert in that department. There is a definite difference between raising boys and girls. So here's my advice for the new parents on raising a little boy:

1. Enjoy his newborn-hood. I know the late-night and early-morning feedings, the crying for no reason, and the never-ending poopie diapers may make this seem like an impossible feat, but don't take this time for granted. It is the only time you'll be sure he won't injure himself by sticking a finger in an electrical socket or hitting his head on the coffee table.

2. If you feel like something isn't right, it probably isn't. Don't let anyone make you feel like since you're a first time mom, that you are overreacting. Even if it comes out that you've made a big deal out of nothing, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

3. Don't underestimate the power of electrical socket covers. I had 3 girls before finally having a boy and the girls never put their fingers near the sockets. My son never kept his fingers OUT of them. Save yourself some shock of your own and stock up on these gems.

4. Let him get dirty. You will only wear yourself out trying to keep him clean. Boys by nature are just dirtier creatures than females. No kid has ever died from being too big of a mess, so let him have fun and love being a boy.

5. Take TONS of pictures! They change so quick and so much and you will want to make sure you get every stage of his baby-hood! 

6. Little boys are very curious. Make sure you have a safe area so where he can explore. Even hide little surprises in the safe place so that he has his own little treasure hunt.

7. Hold him as often as you can. Before you know it, he won't want you to hold him anymore. 

8. Teach him how to waltz early on. I taught my baby how to waltz when he was 2 and nothing's sweeter than spinning around the living room laughing and bumping into walls with your little guy.

9. Let him know that it's alright to lose. He won't always be the best at everything and that's ok. 

10. Tell him on a daily basis how great and important he is. Make sure he knows that he can be anything he wants to be. It's never too early to start this.


      Being a new parent is a very memorable time in one's life, but being a new parent to a little boy is an adventure all it's own.

~XoXo Jess

No comments: